Mushroom safety for adults, kids and pets
Mushrooms are springing up everywhere this time of year, and most are unsafe to eat. The Izaak Walton Killam (IWK) Hospital says there are over 3,000 mushroom varieties found in Nova Scotia, and only about a dozen of these are edible.
Kids and dogs are often drawn to mushrooms, some of which are even more toxic when raw. For more information on plants that are safe, mildly poisonous and very poisonous to people and pets, go here https://iwkpoisoncentre.ca/Documents/PDF/plantguide.pdf
Teach children not to touch mushrooms they see outside, and supervise dogs closely. Adults should not forage for mushrooms unless they are very knowledgeable, as edible mushroom varieties often have toxic lookalikes.
For more information and suggested resources on Nova Scotia’s edible mushrooms, visit the Mycological Society of Nova Scotia’s website https://www.nsmycologicalsociety.org/.
Photo: With its bright colour and fishy odour, the Amanita flavoconia can attract both children and dogs, but it’s one of many toxic mushrooms to be avoided.